Thursday, March 4, 2010

Thermarest Compressable Pillow, Small


For most backpackers, the word "Thermarest" is synonymous with sleeping pads. Its what the company is most known for, and it's what they're best at. I say this because I have a Thermarest Compressable Pillow (small), and it didn't really live up to my expectations. Keep in mind during this, that I'm reviewing it as a backpacking item...not a "travel" item.

When I purchased this, it was a time when I was just beginning to understand the idea of "ultralight" but didn't fully grasp the concept. So, logic told me: Get the small one! Unfortunately, a pillow of any kind is a "Luxury" item. You don't need it...rolled up clothes/stuff sacked clothes will get the job done. So, now I have a luxury item that can't perform luxury duties.

The small is...well, its small. That strength is its greatest weakness, almost to the point of uselessness in backpacking. First of all, it takes a good hour or two to fluff up nice. And it takes about 15 minutes for my head to re-compress it. After that, I end up folding it in half . So now I have a 12''x8'' pillow, instead of 12''x16'', as if that wasn't already small enough.

This was about when I learned that ultralight and luxury don't mix. Sure, this pillow only weighs 7oz, but its a pretty much wasted 7oz.

For non-backpacking expeditions, perhaps air travel, this pillow could be nice. As true to most Thermarest products I've seen, the quality is top notch. But if you want this as a backpacking item to make sleep nicer, I would suggest looking elsewhere.


Performance: 3
Weight: 3
Quality: 8
Price: 5
Tilt: 5

Total: 4.8

No comments:

Post a Comment