Thursday, March 25, 2010

Snow Peak Titanium Mug

I had a hard time figuring out what labels to give this little guy. Some people would agree that a mug is a luxury item in the backcountry, while others would say it is required. Enter the Snow Peak doubled walled mug and you have a strong case for adding a hot beverage holder to your gear list.

Right out of the box you will be pleased with the aesthetics of this mug. It is stunning. The second thing you will notice is how light it is. The third thing you will notice is no lid is provided. I must strongly criticize Snow Peak for omitting a lid. When spending over forty bucks on a cup one would expect all the bells and whistles. A carry sack is provided at least. Total weight is 4.2oz. This Snow Peak holds 15.9 fluid ounces and has fold out handles. I have owned this product for about 8 months.

When I am cooking a meal I always boil extra water for my after dinner drink (usually tea or hot chocolate). Before adding my meal to the water I dump some into the Snow Peak. After cooking and eating my drink is still extremely hot and waiting for me. I understand that I could just use a weightless Styrofoam cup, but there is something special about drinking out of this titanium chalice. I will not try and defend this purchase against the ultralight crowd. They are right, why do you really need a mug on the trail? Bring a Styrofoam cup if you must have a hot beverage. Although I have been going light/ultralight the past few months I still pack the Snow Peak doubled walled mug...we all have our guilty pleasures.

Pros: Ultralight titanium, gorgeous
Cons: Very expensive, does not come with a lid

Performance: 9.0
Quality: 9.0
Weight: 9.0
Price: 4.0
Tilt: 9.0

Total: 8.0

REI $42.50, 4.2oz (with stuff sack)

No comments:

Post a Comment