Monday, March 29, 2010

Backpacking Chair

Today we're going to talk a bit about backpacking with a chair. This is not recommended for the ultralight backpacker, as the ground or a rock will always suffice. But it is possible for the standard ol' "lightweight" backpacker, thanks to REI's "Trail Stool."

The Trail Stool is a tripod style chair. Its obviously not the most comfortable, or most luxurious thing to sit on, but it is relatively comfortable compared to the other options. It sits about 15 inches off the ground, again not optimal, but still better than the ground itself.

REI lists the stool as able to handle 225lbs, and I would not argue with that very much at all. I weigh in at roughly 210, and when I stand up or sit down adding to the pressure on the chair, I sometimes worry that I may have done it in. It has, however, not failed me yet!

The price is right for this chair when it's on sale. The typical price is 19.95, but I was able to grab it for 12.95 (IIRC), and I'd say thats about what its worth. The weight, while not ultralight, is very do-able for 1 or 2 days trips, at 18oz. This can even be cut down slightly by the removal of some unnecessary straps.

Performance:7
Weight:8
Quality:7
Price:5
Tilt:7

Total:6.8

Its a nice little chair, depending on your trip.

This chair is available for purchase at REI for $19.95.

No comments:

Post a Comment