Monday, March 8, 2010

First Need Water Purifier

Water is one of our most basic needs. Out in the back country water is your highest priority. On a short one night trip carrying water works just fine. When on weekend trips or longer you will need to get water in the field. Several methods are used to purify water while backpacking. Boiling, filtering, and chemical options are all available. This post will focus on using the First Need XL water filtration/purification device.

I have owned this water filter for about eight months. In my opinion it is a very special piece of equipment. A significant advantage this filter has on the competition is its ability to purify protozoa, bacteria and viruses without using chemicals. The First Need is the only water purification system on the market with this ability. The end result is water that tastes exactly as it would taste untreated. Why ruin beautiful water with downright nasty tasting chemicals?

I have used this purifier in many different settings and it has not let me down yet. A great feature is the ability to screw wide and narrow mouthed bottles directly to the filter. This allows for easier filling of bottles.

To filter water simply lower the suction end into a body of water. Use the pump to begin filling your bottle. This pump is rated to filter 1.8 liters of water per minute. In real world applications I fill my one liter nalgene in about 35-40 seconds.

Some disadvantages to the First Need are present. Price is a concern at $110 and $50 for a replacement filter. Ultralight folks may find this too heavy at 16oz. A final concern is the First Need is not field serviceable. The filter canister is self contained so you cannot take it apart and clean it. You can however backwash if debris seems to be clogging the filter. I have not had the First Need clog in my 8 months of usage.

Overall this is one of my favorite pieces of gear. Experiencing nature in its purest form is important to me and the First Need allows me to literally taste the back country in an untouched state.

Performance: 9
Weight: 6.5
Quality: 8.5
Price: 7
Tilt: 9.5

Total: 8.1

REI $112, 16oz

No comments:

Post a Comment