Monday, April 12, 2010

Mini Mag Flashlight

When it comes to flashlights, there are more choices than you can shake a stick at, even if you're good at shaking sticks. Today we're going to discuss a light that I've been using daily for about 3 months now, the Mini Maglite.

Operation is simple, twist on/off with flood or beam depending on how much you twist. The light output isn't anything to write home about, but it is more than adequate. It is also a krypton bulb, not an LED, which I kind of like. I personally find things to appear clearer in non-LED light, so I like having a "regular" bulb light on me.

It is not a waterproof light, but it can withstand a quick submersion...like that time I dropped it in the creek. Just brought it out, turned it off, let it dry, and it was good to go. It also seems fairly shock resistant. I've dropped it more than once. Which brings us to a slight downside...it is a little slick. Also, I wish the lanyard hole was large enough to accomodate Paracord.

These arn't ultralight flashlights by any means at 3.78oz, and you can get much more performance/weight with a lot of other lights out there. They will easily fit in with a lightweight backpackers gear list though.

The best part about this light is the price. I got mine, with a sheath and 2 extra bulbs, for under $9.00. Hard to beat for what has so far been a very durable flashlight. It runs on 2AA batteries, also, so batteries are not expensive.

Other than backpacking, I find this light very handy and wear it almost every day in its nylon sheath. Good product for the price.

Performance: 5
Quality: 7.5
Weight: 3.5
Price: 9
Tilt:7

Total: 6.4

Can be found almost anywhere lights are sold for $8-$10.
3.78oz

No comments:

Post a Comment